Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Classroom Rules Carousel

Rules definitely need to be reviewed when returning from a long break.  It's amazing how easily students forget the rules.  I usually do this as a whole class activity.  We then make a poster with the rules.  This time, I decided to try something different.

We did a carousel to review.  For those unfamiliar, a carousel activity is one in which students are divided into groups and rotate around the room from poster to poster adding something new to the topic.  For example, since we did a review of rules in school, I made posters with classroom, specials (gym, computers, etc.), hallways, lunch, groups, recess, and bathrooms.  I then modeled how to come up with rules using a carpet rules poster.  I divided the students into small groups and they had to go from poster to poster adding as many things as they could think about.  The rule was that they had to read what the other groups had already written because they could not add the same things.

I was pretty happy with how this turned out.  I have not done a carousel before.  Honestly, I thought it was kind of lame.  It was a pretty big hit.  In the future, if I do this again, I would assigned each group a different colored marker that they had to take with them so I could really see what they had added to the poster.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment