Monday, December 29, 2014

Winter Break and Secret Pals

It has been a while since I wrote anything.  I have been busy - busy working and busy being sick.  I cannot believe how everyone around here has been dropping like flies.  There are very few people around here that have not been affected by the flu.  Maybe I should get a flu shot next year...maybe not.

Because I was sick, I did not do one of my favorite activities - The Grinch.  I make a new Grinch each year and could not handle doing that this year.  Next year, I will hopefully make a Grinch and laminate it.

This year I tried a much more simple project - Secret Pals.  Each student got a stocking to decorate and an envelope that they attached to a large piece of construction paper (I think red or green paper would look better, but I used what I had.).  The students then chose a Popsicle stick with another student's name.  That student became their Secret Pal for the month.  The students had to make cards, coloring sheets, etc. for their Pals.  I would then send them into the hallway to put their "presents" into the envelopes of their Pals.

I was worried that someone would write something mean or do something else to mess up the project. Since the students randomly picked their Pals, there were some interesting match ups.  I was amazed at the results.  The students would get so excited each time there was something in their envelopes. They were happier and willing to write!  I would definitely do this activity again.  Maybe I will around Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment