Friday, May 10, 2013

Behavior

When I first started teaching, I had the worst class ever.  I tried one thing after another until I was able to find something that worked in controlling their behavior.  I finally went with a color chart to have a visual reminder in keeping their behavior in check.  I have 5 colors (although after Spring Break, I go down to 4 colors to "prepare students for next year").  I flip the students each time they are not following the classroom rules.  I also believe in flipping students back the good way if they show improvement in their behavior.  This chart has worked well for me for 7 years. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I have a question about allowing kids to flip back 'up' as behavior improves. I have had students who abuse this system: acting however they want in the morning but correcting themselves in the afternoon. Have you had students do things like that before? How do you deal with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I handle this a couple of different ways:

      I may not flip back up as quickly as usual (that way those students have a consequence).
      I would definitely talk with those students that are causing those issues (problems at home may be the issue).
      I have behavior charts for those that need additional help controlling their behavior.
      Some students may also need a morning check-in with a trusted adult. Is there another teacher or social worker they can do a quick check-in with?

      Hopefully this helps!

      Delete