Friday, January 29, 2016

Five for Friday

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]

Happy Five for Friday!

1

Former Student - Yesterday I got the most amazing email followed up by a phone call from a former student.  This student was in my first ever class 10 years ago. He was a rough kid.  His mom told me she was thinking of sending him to military school.  He also came close to getting expelled for starting a gang in the area.  Since I had him, he has completely turned his life around.  He is a youth mentor, motivational speaker, and an author.  He has two books on Amazon!  He is only 20 years old (I am not that old!).  He wants to set up a time to come and visit me, because he wants me to know how much I have impacted his life.  I am so proud of the man he has become!  I can't wait to see him!

                                                                                       
2

It's hard to follow up with my number 1, but here goes nothing.  Earlier this month, I read an article that suggested having a secret word.  Each week, we have a secret word.  When I am giving directions, students are not allowed to move until I say the secret word.  I use a word that I wouldn't normally use in regular conversation.  Since we did the blubber experiment (see below), our secret word this week was blubber.  To make sure the students are really paying attention, I will say other words at the end of my directions.  Using a secret word seems to have improved the listening skills of my students.


3

Blubber Experiment - I wanted to my students to see how penguins stay warm in winter, so we did the blubber experiment.  To do the experiment, put Crisco into a gallon size Ziploc bag.  Put another gallon size Ziploc bag into first one.  Place the bags into the water.  Students can put one hand into the bag and one hand into the ice water.



The difference in temperatures are astonishing.  I enjoyed this experiment.


4

MYOB - In our room, we have a phrase - MYOB - Mind Your Own Business.  This phrase has to be repeated for one particular student.  We keep a reminder note on his desk.  He tore it off at the end of the day and tried to eat the note.  I had to rectify the situation for Monday.  I hope he remembers to MYOB Monday.  I also can't wait to see the reaction on his face.  He is a student that I can definitely joke around with.





5



Table - I have to show off the table my dad made me.  It's made up of a lot of my favorite books/authors.  I love it!  My dad is so talented!



No comments:

Post a Comment