Sunday, October 26, 2014

Behavior Strategies

Over the past week, I have tried some new behavior strategies in my classroom.  The results are listed below.

1.  Mystery Walker - I saw this idea on Pinterest.  All the students names are by the door on an envelope.  Before we go out into the hallway, I pick a "Mystery Walker."  The students do not know who it is until we return to the room.  If the "Mystery Walker" behaves in the hallway, they get a sucker when we get back to the classroom.  After explaining the concept to my students, I received a complaint, "But that means we all have to behave in the hallway."  Um...yes.  The students need a constant reminder when in the hallway.  However, the behavior has improved.  They are far from perfect, but I am no longer embarrassed to walk around the building with them.

2.  Weekly Behavior Assessment - I created a form, like a weekly progress report, that students had to fill out.  This went in their weekly envelopes.  I am not sure if I like the form completely.  This is still a work in progress.  To ensure honesty, I made sure to include a spot for teacher comments.  My students were actually honest with this activity.  Once I finalize a form, I will post a free copy on Teachers Pay Teachers.  I still want to work out all of the kinks.

3.  Group Points -  I have cups in the front of the classroom with the group numbers on them.  If the groups are behaving appropriately, I drop in a cute pom pom.  If they are not behaving, I take a pom pom away.  I have done this before with other classes.  With them, I had a competition and the winner got a prize at the end of the day.  This group is very different.  I knew this wouldn't work.  I made a goal for the groups.  Every group that made the goal (10 pom poms) would receive a prize. Unfortunately, the students did not make the goal even once.  Because of this, the Group Points fizzled out by the end of the week.  I know from past experiences that this activity does work.  I will try again.  This time I will lower the goal to 5 pom poms.  If it works this week, I can gradually increase the amount groups will have to earn.

This week will be better.  At least, I hope it will!

No comments:

Post a Comment