Sunday, September 21, 2014

Updates, Strategies, and More

Last week was another rough week for our class. There were some incredible moments of peace though. My favorite new things that I tried were

1. Having all the students sit on their desks at the end of the school day. The students then proceeded to say one nice thing about another student in class. Once their comment was said, the student sat down in their seat. This went on until all the students said and received a positive comment. There were some amazing comments that were stated. This wasn't perfect. Some students went crazy part way through. I do want to try this again because I feel that this will promote a positive feeling in our class.

2. Having the students work in randomized groups of 2 and 3. The students worked so well together. I thought that it was going to be a huge bust. It was the perfect class activity - the one time that they worked well together.

3. An intake meeting for a student that started off the testing process. It was a great meeting. Hopefully, this student will finally start receiving services she needs.

Some troubling moments included

1. Open House - I only had 1 parent - yes one - show up! I had more former students come back to say hello than current ones. This could be why there are so many issues in class.

2. Tears, tears, and more tears - mostly from the students. The breakdown of a handful of students happen on a daily basis.

3. Misbehavior - pushing, hitting, lying, and stealing. This is still a huge work in process.

I am ready for this week to be over and it is only Sunday! 3 days of school and then a 2 day conference. I can't wait for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment