Thursday, April 4, 2013

Flat Stanley

Flat Stanley is one of my favorite activities.  Flat Stanley is great book by Jeff Brown.  Stanley is flat and in one adventure, gets mailed to a friend.  Most Flat Stanley classroom projects have students make their own Flat Stanley and mail him off with a letter to family/friends around the country or world.  While I love this idea, I find that it is not appropriate where I work.

I have modified this project.  We read the story before Spring Break and complete different activities with it.  Edhelper has some great activities.  There are also some great teacher guides for this book.  After reading the book, all students create their own Flat Stanleys.  They can give new names to their Stanley.  Then I have the students make journals.  Over Spring Break, the students write about the different activities they complete with their Flat Stanley.  I have even taken Stanley with me.  My Stanley has been to Scotland, the zoo, museums, baseball games, etc. 

Now that we are on Spring Break, my students are completing their journals.  I am excited to see what the students create.

No comments:

Post a Comment