Sunday, April 17, 2016

Fluency Through Music

Fluency Through Music:  Using music to help your students build fluency when reading.

Who doesn't love a good song?  This year my students burst into song just because they can.  I thought I would turn this love of music into some good.  We have started using music to increase fluency.  Here's how...

1.  Print out a copy of song lyrics for your students.
2.  Play the song so students can hear how it sounds.
3.  Read through the lyrics a couple of times without the music.
4.  Add the music and have students follow along.
5.  Repeat as often as you would like.  (Change up the songs so students do not fully memorize them.)

Our Music Playlist
1.  Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson
2.  Roar - Katy Perry
3.  Stand By Me - Ben E. King
4.  Lean on Me - Bill Withers
5.  You've Got a Friend in Me (Michael Buble)
6.  You Gotta Be - Des'ree
7.  Unwritten - Natasha Beingfield
8.  Happy - Pharrell Williams
9.  Don't Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
10.  True Colors - Cyndi Lauper
11.  Fight Song - Rachel Platten
12.  Brave - Sarah Bareilles
13.  Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
14.  I Believe I Can Fly - R. Kelly (Clean version)

I am always growing the list.  (If you have a song suggestion, please comment below.)  I have Prime from Amazon.  Many of these songs are free.  I made a class playlist.  We listen to these songs when they are working quietly.  I am trying to include songs that have a great message.

We have done different things with these songs besides just singing them.  I use them to teach theme, poetry (stanzas), etc.  One of my favorite things to do is make a musical big book.  To do this, I put 1-2 lines on a sheet of paper.  Students draw an illustration based on the lyric.  I then compile them into a class book. (The above picture are some of the pages from our musical big book waiting for me to bind together.)  I use my book binding machine to put them together.

                                                              

My students beg to listen and sing the songs.  They get excited when we work on a new song.

I encourage you to try a song with your students.  To help you, click here for your free song downloads including some musical big books.  I will be adding to this, so check back often for updates,  Happy singing!

For more reading games, fluency, comprehension, freebies and more, click here.

Visit me here on TPT for more freebies and other resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment