Friday, May 3, 2013

Spacers

I get annoyed when my students write their words so close together that all of their words look like a giant word.  I have tried to teach my students to use a finger space between their words.  This is still a tough concept because they have trouble going back and forth putting their finger down and writing. 

To help with this, I have a basket of "spacers."  This is just a basket of popsicle sticks.  Students can take one and slide it where they need it when writing.  I used to make the sticks colorful and bright,  Those have disappeared over the years.  The plain ones always makes it back to the basket.  Sometimes, I still remind students to get a spacer while others just ask to get one.  Eventually, most students do not need this little crutch.  Now, I can finally read their thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment